Kaitiaki o Ngahere
Our Educational programme “Kaitiaki o Ngahere” or “Protection of the Forest” is currently in the development phase and will be piloted in 2017 within our community.
Purpose : To connect students with our native ngahere at Purangi and provide an authentic context for learning.
The programme will be a cross curricular inquiry resource that spans level 1 – 4 of the curriculum with a strong focus on Science and Technology. The programme includes:
- an inquiry unit plan with links to core curriculum areas
- a teacher’s guide with detailed lesson plans
- all accompanying resources and links
- facilitated sessions with staff to familiarise them with the resource
- organised field trips to Purangi where students can participate in hands on investigation and research in an authentic context